When we talk about flavors that identify the Dominican Republic, we immediately think of mofongo. The mixture of salty and sweet, so characteristic of Caribbean communities, has one of its greatest exponents in this dish.
Visiting the Dominican Republic is synonymous with many condensed experiences. And although time is not enough to live it all, we know that you want to eat the world, how can we leave out the classic Dominican mofongo?That is why today we will take a look at the history of this dish and talk about some of its most famous variants. But the most important thing is that we will take a trip around the entire island to show you the best mofongo restaurants . So prepare your itinerary to add a few gastronomic stops.
What is mofongo?
Mangú, banana ball, tacaco, green plantain fufú, and banán-pilé are just some of the names by which mofongo is known. The origin goes back to two African countries, Ghana and the Congo, specifically from the Asante ethnic group . Before the arrival of the Europeans in the Americas, these peoples in East Africa had created the fufú.
In the preparation of fufú, tubers such as yams and cassava are ground, and then mixed with water and butter, creating a uniform mass. Later, it is cooked in water and it is ready to eat.
This dish, considered the staple food of the Asante ethnic group, was brought along with its people to the shores of America. Over time, each country developed its own variant, using the fruits that only the Caribbean could provide.
The Dominican variant consists of a Mashed plantains with pork rinds and seasoned with chicken broth and spices. In many cases, it is normal to accompany it with fish, chicken, cheese and even shrimp.
In addition, there are variants within the same Dominican territory in which the banana is replaced by another ingredient, such as cassava or sweet potato. But it is true that the most popular version of the dish, and for many the most delicious, is the one prepared with plantain and chicharrón.
How is the traditional mofongo prepared?
Without a doubt, the mofongo generates an important tourist movement in the Dominican Republic. The gastronomy of our country has combined its knowledge, tradition and ancestry to give rise to this dish. But what can you expect when sitting down in a restaurant and ordering a mofongo?
The best way to explain it is through its traditional recipe . Take note, because you may want to cook it yourself at home.
For two servings:
- Three green plantains (ripe can be used for a sweeter taste).
- 2 cups of pork rinds.
- ½ cup of chicken broth.
- Marinade and salt.
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder.
- 2 cups of oil.
You start by peeling the banana and cutting it into slices a couple of centimeters thick. Then, take the slices and the oil to a frying pan over medium heat. The plantain is kept there until it is cooked on the inside, but it should not brown on the outside.
Immediately afterwards, the banana is drained and transported to a container. There the chicharrón (cooked), the garlic, the broth and the marinade will be added. Then, you just have to crush the mixture until it forms a puree that can be shaped into a ball with your hands.Simple, right? Either way, there are plenty of innovative recipes out there . If you want to prepare some of them, here you can find a complete recipe book .
Places to try a delicious mofongo in the DR
The Dominican Republic is the second largest country in the Caribbean islands, just after Cuba. In addition, it has a population that, today, already exceeds 11 million people.The territory is divided into 31 provinces, whose main cities represent impeccable tourist destinations, especially for their gastronomy. Without further ado, let’s begin the tour of its regions and see the best mofongo restaurants in the Dominican Republic .
The mofongo in the East
In this region you will find a wide variety of options, as it has a very important place in the tourism development of the island. In addition, it is the most populated area and has the most important airports in the country.
Best restaurants in Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo is the capital of the Dominican Republic. It is the most populated city in the nation, with more than one million inhabitants. It is on the south coast of the country, so it borders the Caribbean Sea. In addition, it is a center of culture and, of course, of gastronomy.
- Adrian Tropical : When we talk about the best mofongo in Santo Domingo , this is the first restaurant on the list, located at Av. George Washington #2, Santo Domingo 10205. On Trapadvisor, it ranks number 38 in the city.
As for its mofongo, it is acclaimed by customers, both for its flavor and its price. Some users even claim that they could pay more without any problem. Specifically, prices range from USD 2 to USD 25 .
And if you fancy trying something more than typical Dominican food, this is the right place, since its menu is based on Creole dishes.
- Mofongo the Mocano : This store is located at Autopista Duarte KM 10 1/2 Plaza Duarte, Santo Domingo 10202 . Or it offers one of the best mofongos in the city. It is a quiet place, ideal to go as a couple or with a couple of friends.
It is a Creole restaurant with a tendency towards gourmet food . The prices of the dishes and drinks are low. Additionally, diners can see when food is being prepared, since the kitchen is in full view of the dining area.
- D’Luis Parillada : This restaurant is located at Av. George Washington No. 25, Santo Domingo and has a rating of 4.0 on TripAdvisor . It mainly offers Creole food, including Caribbean, Latin, seafood, and barbecue.
His work schedule spans lunch, dinner, and brunch, so it’s great for a late-night bite to eat and drink. It also has outdoor seating facing the sea, wheelchair access, free Wi-Fi and parking.
On the other hand, its varieties of mofongo are sure to catch a curious palate. We assure you that your experience there will be unforgettable.
- Villar brothers : If you want to go to a restaurant with a lot of Creole options, then this is your place. You will find it on Av. Independencia, Santo Domingo, a few meters from the coast. It offers all kinds of Caribbean food, including options for vegetarians and vegans.
Normally they work from 07:00 am. until 11:00 p.m. , so you will find breakfast, lunch, dinner and mid-afternoon snacks. The mofongo is quite acclaimed, so you can not leave without trying it.
- The Conuco : From the voice of many users we know that this restaurant is a mandatory stop. It is located at Calle Casimiro De Moya # 152, Santo Domingo 10207, 2.0 km from Parque Colón.
In addition to an exceptional mofongo, it offers all kinds of Caribbean , Latin and Central American food, including vegetarian and vegan options. They work regular hours from 12:00 pm. until 12:00 a.m.
As for their prices, they range from USD 5 to USD 20, a quite acceptable range, considering that the attention and decoration are excellent. If you go during daylight hours, you cannot stop asking for a top quality coffee to end the meal.
Best restaurants in Punta Cana
In relation to tourism, Punta Cana is the most important city in the country. The Punta Cana International Airport, which is located in the city, receives thousands of travelers every day.
If you are considering traveling to the island, you will surely arrive at this airport. To give you a little push, we have a post that can help you with the issue of tickets . Below we present the options for you to choose the restaurant of your liking.
- La Casita de Yeya : If you are in Punta Cana, it is impossible to leave this restaurant aside. It is located in Vía Martina, next to Coco Bongo & Punta Cana Village, Punta Cana 23000. The place opens from Monday to Sunday, from 11:00 am. until 01:00 a.m. , so they offer lunch, dinner and alcoholic beverages.
There is Caribbean and Latin food, along with dishes suitable for vegetarians. The goat and shrimp mofongos are especially recommended by diners . The price range is between 3 USD and 25 USD.
- Don Pio Cuban Restaurant : This restaurant is not only for Dominican food , it is possible to find the Cuban variation of mofongo . However, this version is also worth trying . It is located at Plaza Turqueza, Local 6, Los Corales, Bávaro, Punta Cana 00000 and opens every day from 12:00 pm. at 12:00 a.m.
In addition to Cuban food, on its menu you will find dishes from all over the Caribbean, Latin America and Central America. It also has options for both vegetarians and vegans.
Customers say that apart from having a unique seasoning, the service is excellent. Also, they highly recommend trying the coconut flan for dessert.
- El Pulpo Borracho : Located on Avenida España, Bávaro, Punta, this restaurant has a wide menu of seafood dishes to offer. According to many diners , it is immaculate and has a striking, but pleasant decoration.
They offer lunch, dinner and brunch. The attention is first class and there is wheelchair access. All customers think that El Pulpo Borracho is the best place to eat seafood in Bavaro. And, apparently, the shrimp mofongo is to lick your fingers.
The restaurant has a score of 4.0 out of 5.0 on TripAdvisor, which places it in a very good position with other places in Punta Cana.
- Delicias de Bávaro Restaurant : If you are in Bávaro and you feel like having a breakfast as Creole as they could prepare it in a native house, then this is your restaurant. It is located on Avenida España Esquina Avenida Francia, Bávaro, Punta Cana, 1.6 km from Bavaro Beach and opens every day from 07:00 am. until 11:45 p.m.
In addition to Creole food, especially with seafood, on the menu there are alcoholic beverages, Central American, South American, and American food. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and brunches are offered and prices range from USD 4 to USD 30.Again, the seafood mofongo is the star dish recommended by users, but you can’t miss the traditional pork mofongo. Also, how about accompanying it with a mango, zapote or chibola smoothie? They are all reputed to be delicious and refreshing.
- El Rincón del Marisco : This small but cozy place is located on Av. España, C/ Los Claveles, behind Banco Popular, Bávaro, Punta Cana. In addition to seafood dishes, the restaurant offers Latin food in general. And of course, you can’t miss a shrimp mofongo recommended by customers.
The place opens every day of the week, from 11:00 am. to 11:00 p.m. , and offers lunch, dinner, wine, beer and certain drinks. It has free Wi-Fi, internal or street parking, television, outdoor seating.Fried fish is especially famous for having a unique homemade flavor , so you can’t miss it.
Best restaurants in La Romana
La Romana is the capital of the province that bears the same name. It is among the largest cities and has more than 200 thousand people. You can arrive through the International Airport of La Romana, you will soon notice that tourism is really important within the city. If you are there, you may want to visit Altos de Chavón , quite an experience.
- Marinelly Restaurant : This restaurant is located at Santa Rosa 25, Esq, La Romana La Romana and also has a nightclub. It opens every day and works from 11:00 am. at 01:00 a.m. , although sometimes it can be open until around 03:00 am.
There is Caribbean, Latin food and, of course, seafood in the best Dominican style. A TripAdvisor user claims to have eaten the best mofongo with shrimp of his life, covered in a house white sauce. How about you check the quality of the dish yourself?
As expected, they offer all kinds of alcoholic beverages, as there is a full bar. There is also secure parking, a buffet, outdoor seating, high chairs for babies and all types of payment are accepted.
- D’Brocoli Mofongo : This restaurant is located at C2QJ+2JJ, La Romana and opens every day, except Tuesday, from 02:00 pm. at 10:00 p.m. It has a very Creole style, which ensures that the mofongo is wonderful.
Although you can eat on the premises, in reality it is more designed to take away. So consider eating a mofongo on the beach together with your partner.
On Google, the restaurant has a rating of 4.6 out of 5.0, and all the users who have left a review recommend it out loud.
- La Chimenea : This place is located at the corner of Av. Sta Rosa & Calle Altagracia, La Romana 22006. It offers quality Creole food in abundance . In fact, customers usually order the mofongo to share with their partner.
However, it is an ideal place to go with friends or even with the family. The attention is perfect and the seasoning memorable. In addition, the ribs in any of their presentations have been recommended several times.
Best Restaurants in Boca Chica
Boca Chica is a municipality whose most populated city is La Caleta. The municipality has a population of just over 140,000 people and has an iconic beach of the same name. Here you can get to know something of the culture of the region.
- Boca Marina : This gourmet type restaurant is located at Calle Prolongación Duarte, 12-A, Boca Chica and is only a few centimeters above the sea. Basically the entire structure is suspended on a wooden pier over the crystal clear water.
They work every day, from 09:00 am. at 12:00 a.m. , with the exception of Fridays, which open until 01:00 am . The price range varies between USD 26 and USD 50, but there may be discounts if the venue is rented for an event. The latter is quite common: it is normal for tourists to celebrate their weddings in the establishment.
As for food, there is a bit of everything: you will find Caribbean gastronomy, seafood, Japanese, Mediterranean and international food. There are also dishes for vegetarians, vegans or coeliacs.On TripAdvisor there are countless positive reviews about the place, highlighting the very good attention of the managers. But that’s not all, Boca Marina was a participant in the 2022 Travelers’ Choice Awards .
- La Marea Restaurant Seefood and Grill : This restaurant is reputed to be one of the best in the region. It is located at Domínguez 21, Boca Chica and opens every day of the week, from 11:00 am. to 11:00 p.m.
According to Restaurant Guru, it is considered the tenth restaurant in the list of barbecues in the region. Naturally, there is mofongo on the menu, and we assure you that it will be worth it.
On the other hand, there is a sale of alcoholic beverages, and apparently the drinks are from another world. In addition, there is a pool where you can cool off before eating one of the best grills you will find in Boca Chica.
- Neptuno’s Restaurant : Located on Calle Duarte, Boca Chica, this restaurant offers a wide menu of Caribbean, seafood, international and fusion food. That, without counting that there are dishes suitable for vegetarians and celiacs.
In addition to being a restaurant, the place works as a space for parties and celebrations of all kinds. There is also a sale of alcoholic beverages. According to TripAdvisor, prices range from $35 to $55, although there are much cheaper options on the menu.
The presentations of the dishes are original and eye-catching, and the very appearance of the place leaves your mouth open. You can eat outdoors, at sea level and listening to the waves break on the shore.
- Bon Gout Bistro Restaurant : This establishment is more than a restaurant. It offers business food, personalized trays, buffet, catering services, etc. It is located at Ave Juan Bautista Vicini 39, Boca Chica.
They work every day of the week, from 8:00 am. to 11:30 p.m. On the menu you can get a wide variety of mofongos, with shrimp being one of the diners’ favorites. You could even talk to the service to request a mofongo with the ingredients you want.
The attention of the workers is perfect and the decoration is quite striking. It’s a great place to go in large groups with loud and hungry friends. Portions are generous and prices are affordable.
The mofongo in Cibao
This region is the main economic support of the island from its agricultural production. Here you can enjoy numerous places such as Puerto Plata or Isabela. So that your palate can also enjoy, we leave you the best restaurants to try the mofongo.
Best restaurants in Puerto Plata
The most important sectors of this city are tourism and hotels. Therefore, you can already imagine that there are a lot of things to do. And it just so happens that we have a little guide on the city’s nightlife .
In order for you to enjoy mofongo as it should be, we recommend that you visit the following restaurants:
- El Bergantin : This restaurant has a score of 4.5 out of 5.0 on TripAdvisor. In addition, it is considered the top 10 among the restaurants in Puerto Plata. Open every day from 09:00 a.m. to 11:00 pm , so you can have breakfast, lunch and dinner.
On its menu you will find seafood in all kinds of preparations, Latin food and Caribbean food. There are even many options for vegetarians and vegans.
Their prices range from USD 4 to USD 15, not bad for a restaurant with such a good reputation. If it catches your eye, it’s on Calle Beller Esquina Separación, in front of Parque Central, Puerto Plata 57091.
- Mofongo Puerto Plata : If you feel like eating like God intended and having a beer or wine with your friends, you must visit this restaurant. It is located on Carretera Puerto Plata, Plata Dorada, Avenida Circunvalación Sur, next to the monument to the Mirabal Sisters, Puerto Plata 57000.
It’s a growing business , so why not explore it and order the best mofongo they have?
- La Casa del Mofongo : It goes without saying that in this restaurant they are specialists preparing mofongo , apart from a long list of Dominican Creole food. It is in the Plaza Popular Calle Avenida Manolo Tavarez, just in front of Brugal, Puerto Plata 57000.
There is Latin and Caribbean food. The grilled breast is a good option in addition to the mofongo de chicharrón . But if you prefer something else, the menu is extremely extensive, including the dessert section.
While waiting for your food to come out, you can watch it being prepared, as everything is in full view of the diners. It is a small and cozy place, perfect to visit with family or friends.
- Venezuelan Food Mofongo : Located at Av. Luis Ginebra Siblings Food Park, Puerto Plata 57000, this small fast food joint has everything a hungry tourist could want.
The menu is based on Caribbean, South American and Venezuelan food. In fact, it is possible to find delicious fusions . And rest assured, you will be so full that you will not be able to get up from the table for a long time.Their prices are quite affordable and you can go any day of the week. From Monday to Friday, they work from 3:00 pm. to 11:00 p.m. , while on Saturdays and Sundays, they open from 12:00 pm. to 11:00 p.m.
- Le Papillon : When we talk about gastronomic quality, this restaurant is one of the main exponents in the region. It is located in Villas Cofresi, Puerto Plata 57000 and has 5.0 points on TrapAdvisor , the highest score on the platform.
In the words of the clients, the attentions of the owner, who is also the chef, are second to none. The place is small, but super striking and cozy. The food, on the other hand, is spectacular, from the presentation, to the taste and the texture in the mouth.
The menu features international food and seafood, as well as the classic mofongo. There are vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free options. The prices vary between 7 USD and 50 USD.As for the hours, they open every day. From Monday to Saturday, they work from 6:00 pm. to 10:00 p.m. , and on Sundays they work from 6:00 pm. until 9:00 p.m.
- The Mofongo King : Finally, we have this restaurant located at #74, Sosúa Beach, Sosúa, on the shores of the Caribbean Sea. It offers a fairly varied menu, including Latin, Caribbean, Spanish, and seafood. There are also dishes for vegetarians.
The working hours are from 09:00 am. until 8:30 p.m. , every day. In the restaurant you can have brunch, breakfast, lunch or dinner. In any case, they offer mofongo in all Dominican varieties, so it’s time to experiment.
You can also order some cocktails , such as the pina colada, which TripAdvisor users recommend.
Best Restaurants in La Vega Province
La Vega is a most interesting province. It is located practically in the center of the Dominican Republic and was one of the five provinces that were founded as a result of the Constitution of San Cristóbal, more than two hundred years ago.
We leave you a list of restaurants that you should not miss in this province.
- Alta Vista Restaurant : This restaurant is a gourmet option with unparalleled seasoning. In addition, the place is located in Cercado Alto, La Vega 41000, where it has an incredible view of the entire region.
Open every day from 12:00 p.m. at 12:00 a.m. The menu includes Dominican and international food. It also has special diets without meat, derivatives or gluten-free. On the other hand, the restaurant offers lunch, dinner and brunch.Many customers talk about the passion fruit sangria , which has a spectacular flavor, and is also perfect for refreshing on hot Caribbean days.
- El Zaguan Restaurant : It is located in Av. Pedro A. Rivera, La Vega 41000 and opens at 11:00 am. to 11:00 p.m. , every day. The house specialty is traditional Dominican food , so mofongo is something you can’t pass up.
In particular, the shrimp mofongo enjoys a very good reputation among users. The atmosphere of the place is the coolest. The place has tables outside, on a terrace surrounded by a garden with trees, shrubs and flowers. Everything you need to relax.
In addition to food, all kinds of cocktails are sold, but above all, refreshing drinks. There is also secure parking, and wheelchair access.
On TripAdvsor, it is ranked number 5 among the best restaurants in La Vega, so there should be no doubts when including it in the travel itinerary.
- Platanitos Restaurant SLR : When it comes to varieties of mofongos, this restaurant is great. They have more than thirty varieties to choose from , as well as Creole grills, steaks and seafood.
It is located at 6FFC+8MM, Concepción de La Vega, La Vega 41000. It opens every day and works from 11:00 am. to 11:00 p.m. The place has three different levels, despite looking small from the outside. There is even a terrace with outdoor tables, ideal for hot nights or cool days.
The decoration is very careful and, despite containing many elements, it maintains a fresh aesthetic. On the other hand, it is necessary to mention that attention deserves a maximum score. All users affirm that they were treated in a phenomenal way.
- Mofongo Expreso Lv : This place is ideal to go with children and the whole family. The presentation of the dishes is very original , which is always liked by the little ones. The service is the friendliest, always willing to offer the best options with sincerity.
It is located at 6FCJ+F36, Balilo Gómez, La Vega, 41000, in La Esquina Food Park. The business starts working at 04:00 pm. and closes at 12:00 am . Regarding the type of food that is offered, there are from Creole options, to American food, going through seafood, grills, fast food and mofongo.
- Doña Miriam Mofongos & Grill : This restaurant has many options for mofongos, as well as a fairly complete Creole food menu. Its location is convenient, as it has direct access to the highway. Specifically, it is located at Av. Pedro A. Rivera, La Vega 41000.
The place is quite spacious, with enough space for each table to have privacy, but without feeling isolated. In addition, the restaurant is famous for serving dishes in record time , great for those situations in which we are hungry, after a day of intense tourism.Apparently, they prepare the most delicious chicharrón mofongo in the entire Province of La Vega.
Best restaurants in Bonao
Bonao is a small municipality located in the center of the national territory. Although it does not have direct access to the sea, its appeal goes further. It is one of the oldest places in the Dominican Republic, also known as the Villa de las Hortensias, thanks to the enormous amount of this type of plant in the region.
- Typical Bonao Sur : This restaurant has everything the tourist could wish for. It mainly offers traditional Dominican food , but it is also possible to order international food. There is a children’s menu coffee, hard liquor, beer and wine.
Breakfast, lunch and desserts are offered. If you wish, you can order any liquor, since there is a full bar. The atmosphere is informal and very well kept.
It is considered the number 1 restaurant in Bonao on TripAdvisor . Its good reputation has reached the ears of many, which is why it is a popular place.The establishment is at WJQ4+RQ3, Av. Libertad, Bonao 42000 and they work from 07:00 am. at 08:30 p.m. , from Mondays to Sundays.
- Asao Restaurant : Located at Independencia 57, Bonao 42000, this Creole restaurant offers one of the best mofongos in the municipality. In fact, almost all Google users certify it.
The space is designed to be informal, so it is a good idea to go with the family, including the youngest children. You can go for lunch or dinner. However, the place is open from 08:00 am. and closes at 10:00 pm .
In addition to the mofongo, users praise the salty meat and the chicken wings. And, very importantly, they also speak highly of the prices.
The mofongo in the South
If you already knew all the tourist sites in the region, don’t forget to try the delights that are open to your palate. Read our selection of the best restaurants in this territory.
The best restaurants in San Cristobal
Did you know that San Cristóbal is one of the most populated provinces in the Dominican Republic? With so many people, stress may attack you, so give yourself some time to relax .
- Cibao Mofongo : This is a typical restaurant in the Dominican Republic, both for its aesthetics, as well as for the seasoning and presentation of the mofongo. It is located on Calle Gral. Cabral, San Cristóbal 91000, an area with good connections to transportation routes and close to Nuestra Señora de la Consolación .
On Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, they work from 08:00 am. to 11:00 p.m. , on Saturdays and Sundays they open at 08:00 am. and they close at 12:00 am . Wednesday is the only day they don’t work.The place has access ramps for people in wheelchairs and, in addition, it is considered a safe place for transgender people. Finally, the portions are quite large, allowing two people to eat from the same service .
- D’Roa Parrillada : If you are looking for a nice family atmosphere to go to dinner with your loved ones, this is your restaurant. You will find it in Centro SC, C. Bernardo Aliez 87, San Cristóbal 91000. It opens every day from 03:00 pm. to 11:00 p.m. Several customers have recommended the BBQ ribs, so take note when you go.
The restaurant has tables in two settings: indoors and on the outdoor terrace. The service is most attentive and friendly, willing to meet the requests of customers.
There is sale of alcoholic beverages, specifically wine and beer. Reservations are accepted, which is a plus when planning to go in a large group to celebrate an achievement or birthday .
Apart from all this, it is important to note that the establishment has access ramps for people in wheelchairs. On Google, users have rated D’Roa Parrillada, with a score of 4.4 out of 5.0.
- Súper PAC : This restaurant offers a truly extensive menu, starting with typical Dominican, Caribbean and Latin American food. There are many seafood dishes and you will even find some Spanish gastronomy.
It is located at CV5Q+J9C, C. Capotillo, San Cristóbal, practically in the center of the city. They work every day, except Sunday, from 06:30 am to 03:00 pm . This very tight schedule is due to the fact that they only offer breakfast and lunch.
It is great to go with the family, since it is a quiet place and it has a play area for children. Google users have rated this restaurant 4.3.
- Zumbido Mofongos : This restaurant offers Creole Dominican food, but with gourmet-type preparations and presentations. It is at CV7W+W7 San Cristóbal 91000. It is a small place, with a few outdoor tables, but this makes it an ideal place to go in private with your partner.
However, it is normal to find small groups of friends having dinner, at least during the evening hours.The various types of mofongo are prepared by a young chef , who gives a renewed twist to traditional recipes. You can taste their dishes from 04:00 pm until 11:00 pm. , any day of the week.
Without a doubt, mofongo is one of the most delicious dishes in the DR. Here is a list of the main Mofongo restaurants in the Dominican Republic. We hope it has been of use to you.Are you interested in Dominican gastronomy? Below, in the Related Articles section, you can find a link to different mofongo recipes in case you want to prepare a delicious Dominican mofongo at home. You can also take a look at our Food and Drinks section or start planning your trip to the DR with the help of our Questionnaire . Thanks for reading us!
The best mofongo restaurants in the Dominican Republic
When we talk about flavors that identify the Dominican Republic, we think of mofongo. Meet the best restaurants to try it.