Altos de Chavón is a Villa located in the La Romana province, on the southeast coast of the Dominican Republic . This charming replica of a 16th century Mediterranean village is located within the Casa De Campo Resort & Villas . It is not very far if you arrive by plane, it is only 6 km from La Romana International Airport.
Due to its unique attractiveness, Altos de Chavón is one of the main tourist destinations in the Dominican Republic par excellence.
It also serves as the headquarters of the Regional Archaeological Museum , has a Roman-style Amphitheater and has a School of Design . Also, like any medieval European town, it has a place for parishioners who travel from all over the world: The charming Church of San Estanislao.
In addition to its panoramic views of the Chavón River and the Caribbean Sea, you can taste exquisite Caribbean cuisine in its distinguished restaurants.
It also has a well-stocked cigar shop and fabulous boutiques with exclusive pieces.
History of Altos de Chavón
Altos de Chavón is a picturesque place that seems to come out of a fairy tale. It was devised by Charles Bludhorn , who was president of the North American company Gulf + Western. He had the idea of building a European-style city when it was necessary to blow up a mountain of stone to build a road.
The extraordinary construction was in charge of the Italian designer and cinematographer Roberto Coppa. Former set designer for Paramount Pictures and colleague of Italian filmmakers Luciano Visconti and Federico Fellini. Without a doubt , he had a lot of experience and ingenuity to make this majestic place a reality.
The design was meticulously worked on by the Dominican architect José Antonio Caro . The result was that of a 16th century Italian town, with its stone-walled houses and tiled roofs.
They had the support and participation of great Dominican artisans to build this charming stone town .
Construction began in 1976 and lasted 6 years.
It was inaugurated on August 20, 1982 with the spectacular Concert of the Americas. Which was chaired by Frank Sinatra and Carlos Santana. The tickets had a value of RD$50 equivalent to US$2 and filled the 5,000 seats of the Amphitheater.
Fun things to do in Altos de Chavón
If you are visiting the La Romana Province, Altos de Chavón is an unmissable destination in the Dominican Republic . On the other hand, consult the Definitive Guide: Fun and unique things to do in the Dominican Republic if you want to make the most of your visit to the Island.
In Altos de Chavón you can enjoy the following activities.
Visit the Regional Archaeological Museum
The Altos de Chavón Regional Archaeological Museum was inaugurated in 1981.
He is a member of the Altos de Chavón Cultural Center Foundation. Which is an educational and cultural entity committed to the artistic, intellectual, historical and cultural development of the Dominican Republic.
This place serves as a historical memory since it protects the great legacy of the Taíno indigenous people of the Santo Domingo Island . The Museum exhibits more than 3,000 pieces collected over four decades. Which were found in the region by Samuel Pión.
The collection offers a time tour in chronological order that covers the pre-agricultural era until the time of the Tainos in 1492, who were the dominant culture before the arrival of the Spanish conquerors.
The way of life of the first inhabitants is glimpsed through utilitarian, decorative objects and others of a ritual nature. It is a valuable identity sample of the evolutionary process of the culture of the pre-Columbian indigenous societies of the Caribbean Island.
On the other hand, the Museum has an Exploration Classroom dedicated to children who visit the place. In which, they explain basic concepts of archaeological work. Likewise, children live the experience of being archaeologists through various recreational and educational activities.
The Museum constantly offers a varied program of activities, among which include:
- temporary exhibits
- thematic conferences
- Investigative visits to rural areas
- Training workshops for tour guides
How to get to the Altos de Chavón Regional Archaeological Museum?
Below we offer you relevant information if you wish to contact them for an activity at the Museum:
- Location: behind the San Estanislao Church
- Office hours: every day from 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Contact: (809)-523-2424 | (809)-523-8522 | (809)-523-2097 | (809)-523-8454
- Admission to the Regional Archaeological Museum is free if you access through the Casa de Campo Tourist Complex
- Admission cost for Private Schools / Universities / Churches: RD$200.00 per person
- Admission cost for Public Schools / High Schools / Foundations: RD$100.00 per person
Discover the Amber World Museum
The Amber World Museum was inaugurated in 1985, it is located in the town of Altos de Chavón. This museum is an educational institution that arises at the initiative of Jorge Caridad. Who is president and founder of the Ámbar workshop (AMBASA), which was inaugurated on September 5, 1996.
It has a workshop, in which Larimar and Amber jewelry is produced and sold . These are important in the national market of the Dominican Republic and the international market.
The Museum offers scientific and historical information regarding the vegetation and animals that were fossilized in amber in the Neolithic. In the same way, he shares knowledge regarding the formation of amber and the characteristics of this precious resin, which is valued as a semiprecious stone.
The space consists of 40 showcases where the specimens are exhibited, accompanied by relevant and interesting data on amber.
On the other hand, it has a small collection of Larimar, an exclusive precious stone from the Dominican Republic. Along with information on the origin and history of this beautiful blue pectolite characteristic of the Larimar Mines.
Finally, you can get exclusive jewelry, made with Amber or Larimar for sale to the public .
The World of Amber Museum offers various activities for the enjoyment of visitors:
- audiovisual presentations.
- Possibility of carrying out simple experiments.
- Microscopes to observe the Amber.
- experiments for children
How to get to the World of Amber Museum?
Below we offer you relevant information if you wish to contact them for an activity at the Museum:
- Location: under the old Café del Sol, close to the KIWI Outlet store and the Choco Museo
- Office hours: Monday to Saturday from 9:00 am – 6:00 pm | Sundays from 9:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- Contact: (809) 523-3333 Ext. 5066 | (809)-686-5700
Have fun at the Choco Museo
Here you can learn everything about cocoa and learn about the production process from the moment it is in the beans. If you have time, you can make your own chocolate by participating in one of the workshops offered by the Museum.
In addition, you can taste different products made with Dominican cocoa for free.
The Choco Museum offers:
- Variety of products made with cocoa: liqueurs, sweets or cocoa tea.
- Beauty products: cocoa body cream, cocoa butter, hair treatment.
- Variety of chocolates: 85% cocoa, 75% cocoa, milk, white.
- Sale of crafts.
- Chocolate workshops.
- Tours to cocoa plantations.
How to get to the Choco Museum?
Below we share their contact information:
- Location: Next to the KIWI Outlet Store
- Office hours: open every day from 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Contact: (809) 466-1022
Enjoy views of the Chavón River and the Caribbean Sea
The wonderful location of this tourist place offers the visitor stunning views of the Chavón River and the majestic Caribbean Sea .
While enjoying the tour of the fantastic town of Altos de Chavón, you can make a perfect stop to capture incredible photos.
This place has been the setting for movies like Apocalypse Now in 1979 and Rambo II in 1985 . Some scenes of these films were filmed on the banks of the Chavón River.
Get to know the San Estanislao Church
The San Estanislao Church is located in the central square of Altos de Chavón. This beautiful stone building was built in 1979 and consecrated by Pope John Paul II .
To commemorate the inauguration, the Pope sent the ashes of the Patron Saint of Poland, after whom this monument is named. Next to a hand-carved statue from Krakow.
The monument was carved in coral stone like the rest of the set. Its design highlights its neoclassical façade, a rose window and a belfry with two bells, which is accessed by an external staircase.
It is the most requested place to celebrate Catholic weddings in the Dominican Republic.
On May 26, 1994, pop singer Michael Jackson celebrated his marriage to singer Lisa Presley in this church .
Catholic masses are officiated on Saturdays and Sundays at 5:00 pm.
Tour the City of Artists
It offers academic training in art and design . Every year it receives students from all over the world.
Graduates from this University have solid opportunities for job placement at a national and international level.
If you want to know more about this important University dedicated to artists, based in the exceptional Altos de Chavón. Access the official page of Chavón The School of Design and find out about their training programs, courses and diplomas.
Visit the majestic Altos de Chavón Amphitheater
The Amphitheater is an iconic monument of Altos de Chavón , it was inaugurated on August 20, 1982 with the spectacular Concert of the Americas . The tickets had a value of RD$50 equivalent to US$2 and filled the 5,000 seats of the Amphitheater.
The design inspired by the Roman amphitheaters is an open and open-air installation, which will take you back to medieval Europe. Great national artists such as Juan Luis Guerra, Wilfrido Vargas and Fernando Villalona have performed there.
Likewise, there have been great presentations by internationally recognized artists such as: Elton John, David Guetta, Brian Adams, Chayanne, Shakira, Julio Iglesias, Franco de Vita, Andrea Bocelli, Eros Ramazzoti and many other artists.
Famous urban artists have attended the event in the solemn Chavón Amphitheater without fail. Among them are Wisin y Yandel, Don Omar, J Balvin, Pitbull, Karol G, Rosalía, Maluma and Bad Bunny.
In this fascinating setting under the light of the stars, performances and concerts are held throughout the year .
In addition to this incredible experience in Altos de Chavón, you can venture out with one of these 33 interesting things to do in La Romana .
Tours to visit the Altos de Chavón
On your visit to the Roman province, hire a Tour to get to know Altos de Chavón and live an unforgettable experience.
We offer you the best options for you to get to know this impressive replica of a 16th century town.
- From Punta Cana: Saona Island and Altos de Chavón Day Trip with Lunch and Open Bar : Guided tour of Altos de Chavón and Saona Island. Enjoy the beach and bathe in a natural pool. Ages : 0 to 85 years. Duration: 10 hours. Lunch: Dominican with open bar. With transfer from hotels in Punta Cana. Cost: US$ 89.00
- 1 day excursion in Punta Cana: Catalina Island and Altos de Chavón : guided visit to Altos de Chavón and Catalina Island. Enjoy the beach and practice snorkeling. Ages : 2 to 85 years. Duration: 10 hours. Lunch: buffet. Open bar. Vehicle with air conditioning, round trip transfer from Punta Cana. Cost: US$ 120.00
- Private tour Isla de Saona and Altos de Chavón for groups max.15 people : enjoy the beach and practice snorkeling in Isla Saona (3 hr). Altos de Chavón (50 min). Ages : 0 to 120 years. Duration: 8 – 10 hours. Lunch: islander. Soft drinks and alcoholic beverages. Vehicle with air conditioning and Wi-Fi, round trip transfer from Punta Cana. Cost: US$2,389.62 per group, max. 15 guests.
- Full day tour to Isla Saona and Altos Chavón : enjoy the beach and get to know Altos de Chavón, a charming town inspired by the European architecture of the 16th century. Ages : 0 to 99 years. Duration: 8 hours. Lunch: Caribbean. Vehicle with air conditioning, round trip transfer. Cost: $85.00
The best restaurants near Altos de Chavon
- La Piazzetta : Italian, Mediterranean cuisine. Hours: 6:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. Location: Altos de Chavón. Contact: (809)-523-3333 | (809) 523-8364
- Minitas Beach Club & Restaurant : Seafood. Hours: 10:00 a.m. -24:00 p.m. Location: Minitas Beach. Contact: (809)-523-3333 | (809) 523-8364
- Chilango Taquería : Mexican cuisine. Schedule. 12:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. Location: Altos de Chavón. Contact: (809)-523-3333 | (809) 523-8364
- La Caña : Mediterranean cuisine. Location: central area of the Hotel Casa de Campo . Hours: 7:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m. Price range: US$45 – US$80. Contact: (809)-523-3333 | (809) 523-8364
- Lago Restaurant : à la carte breakfasts and lunches. Location: central area of the Hotel Casa de Campo . Hours: 6:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Contact: (809)-523-3333 | (809) 523-8364
- La Casita : Seafood, Spanish, Mediterranean cuisine. Hours: 18:00 p.m. – 23:00 p.m. Location: Casa de Campo , in the boats of the Marina. Price range: US$30 – US$60. Contact: (809)-523-3333 | (809) 523-8364
- SBG : cuisine: Mediterranean, International. Location: next to the Casa de Campo pool . Hours: 17:00 p.m. – 23:00 p.m. Weekends: 12:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. Price range: US$20 – US$50. Contact: (809)-523-3333 | (809) 523-8364
- Cause : Peruvian cuisine: Creole, Nikkei and Chifa. Hours: 17:00 p.m. – 23:00 p.m. Price range: US$25 – US$75. Contact: (809)-523-3333 | (809) 523-8364
On the other hand, the province of La Romana has a wide variety of restaurants with national and international cuisine.
The best accommodations near Altos de Chavón
La Romana has a wide range of hotels and accommodations so that your stay is full of comfort and the best service. On the other hand, here you can check which is the best place to stay in the Dominican Republic .
We present you with the best selection of accommodations close to Altos de Chavón , so you can choose the ideal option for you.
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas is a 3,000-hectare tourist complex . It is the seat of the Altos de Chavón village. It is located 4 km from the center of La Romana and is only 45 minutes from the Punta Cana International Airport.
It offers comfortable family rooms, a swimming pool, (3) professional golf courses, a private beach area and (8) restaurants with national and international cuisine. It also has a tennis court, gym, ATM and exchange office.
Dreams Dominicus Resort & Spa is located in Bayahibe, 300 meters from Dominicus Beach and 5 km from Bayahibe Beach. La Romana Airport is 15 km from this tourist complex.
The accommodation offers comfortable rooms, outdoor pool, playground and barbecue. It also has areas with private beaches and has facilities for practicing water sports. In addition, it has a tennis court, gym and ATM.
We offer you other excellent accommodation options near Altos de Chavón:
- Maggy’s House
- Private Apartment in Caribe Dominicus 3
- Villa Iguana
- Hotel Boutique Simone
- Eldorado Hotel
- Bayahibe Village Inn
- Campito Loving
Your trip to La Romana will be unforgettable after visiting the Altos de Chavón. This charming replica of a medieval village offers a wide menu of exciting activities.
The complex has great historical, architectural and cultural value, without neglecting the vibrant essence of this Caribbean country. You also find shops with the best Dominican cigars, exclusive restaurants and attractive bars to keep the fun going.
Follow our recommendations to live the best experience in this Caribbean country. And enjoy the trip and stay in the Dominican Republic to the fullest.