A good Dominican sancocho accompanies significant dates, is nutritious and delicious, and combines native Caribbean ingredients. Ideal for those rainy days or after an exhausting day, accompanied with rice it is a complete lunch.It is not a soup or broth like any other.
The DR sancocho includes diverse flavors , it is concentrated and has the seasoning of the families. Before continuing, let’s see one of its favorite versions by Dominicans, the sancocho 7 meats. Do you know him? If not, let’s start with this delicious variant.
Table of Contents
- The favorite: Dominican sancocho 7 meats
- History of the Dominican sancocho
- Dominican sancocho recipe
- Restaurants with the best sancocho in the Dominican Republic
The favorite: Dominican sancocho 7 meats
The most popular Dominican sancocho and the one that always gets praise is the 7 meats . This broth is unique to the extraordinary gastronomy of the Dominican Republic, it is the authentic sancocho of the Caribbean country .
Although its name is “7 meats” it does not mean that it has 7 different meats, it refers to its cooking. The sancocho includes a total of 5 meats and there may be variations:
- Chicken meat.
- Goat meat.
- Beef, the most pulpy part that can be the breast is chosen, at the same time that it is firm.
- Pork in pieces
- Pork bacon.
- Smoked pork chop.
On the other hand, there are those who substitute or add other meats such as chicken, salted beef or smoked pork ribs. It will also depend on the type of meat that is available at the moment in DR homes.
It is common for sancocho to be prepared over a wood fire , especially when it is made in large quantities. Following the recipe, this substantial Dominican broth, in addition to the meats mentioned, has:
- Crushed garlic.
- Green chili cut.
- Large chopped onions.
- cut celery.
- Auyama or pumpkin.
- Malanga cut.
- Potatoes in pieces
- Green banana sliced 1 centimeter or similar.
- Olives and capers.
- A little chopped cilantro.
- Vinegar or sour orange.
- A bit of Tabasco.
- A pinch of oregano powder.
- Cut corn cob.
- Powdered seasoning of your choice.
- Spices to taste.
The cuts of the vegetables and tubers are made the same size , the ideal is to obtain pieces in one bite. In addition to cooking evenly, a good presentation is achieved.
The preparation is simple, all the meat is added to a pot or cauldron with the water necessary for cooking. When it starts to boil, add the vegetables and tubers so that they cook with the meats.
The beef is first stir-fried in hot oil to continue the protein variety. Add as much water as necessary to achieve the desired consistency, it is important that it is not too thick.
And ready! You will only need a good bowl or deep plate to serve the sancocho. If it’s freshly made, let it cool for a few minutes so you don’t burn yourself with the first taste.
History of the Dominican sancocho
The sancocho is considered the national dish in the Dominican Republic, but its origins are not typical of our country. The truth is that it has gone through evolutions that made it as we know it today.
The origin of the Dominican sancocho comes from the Spanish Canary Islands, the migration of the canaries brought this stew with it. In its beginnings, this soup was similar to a fish stew until it finally reached the Dominican lands.
This dish is a succulent dinner and is consumed all year round , in fact, it is famous for the festivities. For the December season, eating sancocho is a tradition on New Year’s Eve and special festivals.
Dominican sancocho recipe
To prepare the traditional Dominican sancocho you do not need to be a professional in the kitchen. Take this recipe to your kitchen and share a great meal with your loved ones, let’s not wait any longer!
The quantities of the ingredients will depend on the number of people to whom the sancocho will be served. The portions with which we will work yields for approximately 10 people or more.
- ½ kg of beef.
- ½ kg of sausage.
- ½ kg of lamb.
- ½ kg of pork, it can be rib or pork mass.
- ⅕ of chicken.
- The juice of 2 lemons or 1 sour orange.
- ⅕ of turnips (small pieces to preference).
- ⅕ of cubed potatoes.
- ½ kg of auyama or pumpkin in cubes.
- ½ kg of cassava in pieces.
- 2 green bananas on wheels.
- 2 ears of corn cut into wheels.
- 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped cilantro.
- 1 pinch of oregano.
- 2 crushed garlic.
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- 3 liters of water.
1. Cut the meat into similar pieces , it can be in generous cubes depending on the type of meat and the cut. Add the sour orange or lemon juice to marinate the meat, then the coriander, let stand for 1 hour. To this marinade also add the garlic and salt to taste, cover well and take to the refrigerator.
Note : in this marinade, the sausage, chicken and ribs are not added, these are reserved separately.
2. Add the oil in a saucepan and wait for it to heat up to add the meat that you have left to rest. Go stirring to brown evenly , if it’s sticking, add water, cook for 10 minutes. After this time, add the remaining meat: the sausage, the chicken and the ribs.
Go adding water little by little to prevent them from sticking in the saucepan, stir constantly. Let cook for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the water until everything is covered, remember to use a large saucepan for better cooking and comfort. Wait for the meat to boil in the water you have added and add the other ingredients.
4. Start with the cassava, turnip, pumpkin and plantains, cover the preparation for about 15 minutes. After this time, add the corn, garlic and oregano, there are those who add grated banana to the cook. If desired, grate a banana and add it at this point in the preparation.
5. Let everything cook for 30 minutes and go stirring from time to time, we must wait for everything to cook. Add any seasonings you like and salt to taste. Your sancocho will be ready!
When serving, it is recommended that it be very hot, add a little fresh cilantro on top to decorate. Accompany your sancocho with white rice and avocado , you will love the result.
If you have doubts about the cuts or types of meat that you can add , we will give you advice so that nothing is missing in your recipe.
What meat can be added to the Dominican sancocho?
The meat that is added in the Dominican sancocho starts from beef, pork and lamb or goat. If you want to substitute any of the meats in the recipe , you should know that it is possible. The cuts can vary depending on what you have on hand or what you like. Although the cut of the beef breast is used, add the one that you like the most and can be cut into pieces.
In the case of pork, the smoked chop is a good option to complement the 7 meats. Pork ribs are also a great way to add pork to sancocho.
Chicken meat can replace chicken in this preparation, although it is possible to add both. The sausage will be of the meat that you prefer between smoked or natural.
Can you add shellfish to the Dominican sancocho?
The first sancocho that arrived in the lands of the Caribbean had fish , in case you want to incorporate seafood, try:
- marine lobster.
The result is great if you are a lover of the flavors of the sea, the ideal is to add seafood that does not undo. If the pulp is very soft, add it when the sancocho is almost ready.
Restaurants with the best sancocho in the Dominican Republic
Throughout the Dominican Republic, the delicious traditional sancocho is served in its restaurants, it is a relevant dish for the cuisine of the island. We will take a tour where we mention the best sancochos that are served in restaurants in different cities of the Caribbean country.
Take note so that on your next trip you don’t miss out on the most exquisite Dominican sancocho.
Best Dominican sancocho in Punta Cana
After a fantastic excursion in Punta Cana, a complete Dominican sancocho would come in handy. We suggest you visit the restaurants that focus on traditional Caribbean food, let’s take a look:
- La Casita de Yeya : the sancocho is served in a pot next to a pot of white Dominican rice. You also have other options of dishes such as tostones and the delicious mofongo. The restaurant is located in Galerías, La Altagracia. Open from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. every day.
- Pearl Beach Club : next to a pleasant atmosphere with swimming pools, enjoy a great Dominican sancocho. Hours of operation are from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. every day. You will find Pearl Beach Club in Bávaro, La Altagracia.
- Don Pio Restaurant : ask for the sancocho prepared on the day and enjoy all the flavors of its ingredients. You can head to this restaurant every day from 12:00 to 23:00 Monday to Thursday. From Friday to Sunday from 12:00 to 00:00, located in Plaza Turquesa, Av. Alemania.
Best Dominican sancocho in Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo is an excellent tourist spot that you cannot miss if you come to the Dominican Republic on your next vacation. Typical Dominican food has great relevance in restaurants in the capital.Let’s take a look at the places where you’ll find the best Dominican sancocho that have had rave reviews. So, if you have walked along the Paseo Colonial or toured the city , recharge your energy with the benefits of sancocho.
- Adrian Tropical : it is a restaurant with the freshest fish but with an incredible sancocho that you must try. The food par excellence is the typical Dominican where the cup of broth with the best ingredients stands out.
Adrian Tropical is located at Av. George Washington 1, open every day from 7:00 to 02:00. On Fridays and Saturdays they close at 3:00. It is a recommended place for the whole family.
- Jalao : the sancocho that is served in this restaurant follows the traditional lines where slices of avocado are added. The decoration is beautiful, part of curly sheets of a crispy fried plantain and coriander. It is a dish full of colors and typical flavors hand in hand with haute cuisine.
- D´Luis Parrillada : located on Paseo Presidente Billini in Ciudad Nueva, Santo Domingo, this restaurant serves one of the best sancochos. You will see it in a wooden bowl brimming with the ingredients that make up this dish. The restaurant is open every day from 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.
Go to Calle El Conde 101, from 5:00 p.m. to 02:00 a.m. Monday through Thursday. From Thursday to Sunday from 12:00 to 02:00 to enjoy Jalao’s attention and food.
Best Dominican sancocho in Puerto Plata
If after visiting the beautiful waterfalls in Puerto Plata you are wondering what to eat, the Dominican sancocho will be wonderful. There are several restaurant options where you will try this dish with the best flavors and ingredients of these Caribbean lands.
Get to know the suggestions that we have prepared for you of restaurants where they serve the best Dominican sancochos .
- D’Mariolis Snack Bar : with a beautiful view of the sea, you will enjoy a delicious sancocho accompanied with rice. The broth is substantial with spices and vegetables that make the preparation a complete meal. If you want to contact customer service, call this number: +1 (809) 9099241.
The restaurant is available from Monday to Sunday from 08:00 to 00:00 in Puerto Plata.
- Skina Restaurant : it is a beautiful place where you will have a good time and of course, you will enjoy a wonderful sancocho. This dish is served with rice , avocado slices and plantains, all of this in a beautiful and impeccable presentation.
This restaurant is located on Calle Separación, it is open every day from 11:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Except on Tuesdays, since it remains closed.
- El Pilón : this restaurant serves all kinds of typical food, starting with the delicious Creole broth. Served in a bowl with white rice, the meats that make up the sancocho are varied.
The service is available from 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. every day of the week, on Unnamed Road.
Best Dominican sancocho in Santiago de los Caballeros
Enjoying the water parks in the DR is an unforgettable experience, if you are in SC do not miss Mundo Acuático. Restaurants whose specialty is typical Dominican food offer attractive options such as:
1. Dominican breakfast.
2. Plantain in different presentations: plantains, puree (mangú, mofongo), fried fish, stews and more.
3. Typical sweets.
4. Of course, the Dominican sancocho that has stolen the hearts of many.
Te presentamos algunas opciones de restaurantes que ofrecen el mejor sancocho mientras te encuentras en Santiago de los Caballeros.
We present some restaurant options that offer the best sancocho while you are in Santiago de los Caballeros .
- De Victoria Antojitos : located on Salvador Cucurullo street, it is an ideal restaurant for breakfast and lunch. It offers the sancocho accompanied by rice and plantain. It is a good option to eat alone or accompanied, the space is pleasant and illuminated.
- Melania Sopa : this restaurant specializes in soups of all kinds, stews and stews. The sancocho is served with avocado, lemon wedges and boiled cassava, it is a delicious combination of a balanced meal.
It is located on 15th street in Ciudad de los Caballeros, the place is impeccable. Open every day from 7:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., on Tuesdays they are closed all day.
- Mr. Grilled – All the food served is excellent, so if you’re going for a sancocho, you’ll want to try everything. The sancocho is served with rice, avocado and white salad. It is excellent for a good balanced and tasty lunch.
This restaurant is located on Av. 27 de Febrero, it also has delivery from Orders Now .
Each of the cities that make up the wonderful lands of the Dominican Republic, have a wide gastronomy. There are dishes that are maintained in all regions, such as the Dominican-style sancocho.On your next vacation do not forget to try the authentic Dominican soup , stop by the restaurants that we have suggested and enjoy.
The gastronomic history of the Dominican Republic is long and rich, with nuances and flavors from the Caribbean. The dishes that are prepared in the homes of this country find the perfect point between tradition and its variations.
The sancocho is one of the recipes that has undergone changes to become what it is today. Preparing it at home is not difficult , in return, you will have a complete lunch or dinner, you will enjoy each of its ingredients. Cooking allows both the broth and the tubers to have the flavor of the animal protein that you have added.
Cook a delicious sancocho and surprise your palate and everyone at the table!