Also known as Dominican cake, it is a dessert that you do not stop eating after having tried it. On your vacation through the wonderful Dominican lands you will find pastry shops where the delicious traditional cake is exhibited . Do not forget to visit the ones that we will mention.
Do you want to learn how to prepare a Dominican cake with the original recipe? Keep reading because we will leave you the complete recipe. In addition to that, you will find ideas for fillings that will make the cake you prepare the most exquisite.
What is the “bizcocho” dominican cake?
Similar to the chiffon type cake , this cake is fluffy and moist, very soft on the palate. Together with the meringue with which it is usually accompanied, they make a range of textures with balanced but sweet flavors.
The cake has a leading role in the special celebrations that take place in our Caribbean country, you will see a Dominican cake in:
- First Communion
- Parties or family gatherings.
The softness of the Dominican sponge cake is provided by the amount of butter that the recipe contains. However, the technique is to incorporate air into the preparation so that it is spongy and dissolves on the palate.
It is usually filled with jams or creams, they are usually made from citrus fruits, although chocolate combines wonderfully. But we’ll talk about that later.
Prepare the authentic “bizcocho”
From the outset, this dessert is very popular, its preparation raises questions but also fascination because it is so versatile. You are free to choose the flavor of the mixture between chocolate, vanilla or the one you prefer. Besides that, it combines excellent with the type of filling you want to incorporate, your creativity will have no limits.
There are tricks that we will show you in the preparation so that your Dominican cake is perfect , fluffy and soft. First we show you the ingredients that are needed, put on your apron!
For a 5-portion cake you will need:
- 650 grams of sifted wheat flour, use a strainer for this procedure
- 50 grams of baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 450 grams of unsalted butter
- 400 grams of sugar
- 10 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 230 ml of milk
Optional : For a brownie, add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder. For the vanilla ones add a pinch of lemon zest.
In the case of the molds, it is recommended that they have a measure of 10×10 cm. Remember to grease them before adding the mixture or use waxed paper, it works very well for this type of dough.
The quantity of the ingredients is equivalent to a mixture that covers two molds of the mentioned size.
First step : preheat the oven to 180 degrees so that when you bring the mixture it cooks evenly.
Second step : In a bowl, add the butter to the mixer or use a hand mixer, start with a low speed. When you have acquired a bit of air, go adding the sugar in small portions, do it until you have fully incorporated it.
The butter will be creamed when it has lightened to an almost white tone, the result will be smooth in consistency.
Third step : to the mixture you are adding the yolks of 5 eggs separately each. Then, continue with the 5 whole eggs, incorporate them into the mixture in the same way as the yolks.
Fourth step : it is time to add the flour together with the baking powder that we have sifted. At the same time the milk is added alternating between dry and liquid ingredients until both are finished. Stop beating when well mixed.
Fifth step : take the dough to the molds and then to the oven that is already preheated. Wait 30 minutes and insert a toothpick to verify that it is cooked. If it comes out clean, it means that the cake is ready. Wait until it cools down to unmold it.
Note : if you chose to add cocoa powder, do it at the end and beat with a paddle envelopingly. If you want to use the lemon zest, also add it after the flour.
How to make the sigh for the dominican cake?
The Dominican cake is not complete without the sigh with which it is decorated, it is a meringue similar to the Italian one. Its consistency is firm and dense, it combines excellently with the texture of the cake that melts on the palate.
The ingredients to make the meringue of the Dominican cake are:
- 1 ½ cups of white sugar
- A few drops of lemon juice
- 5 egg whites at room temperature
- Vanilla to taste
- 4 tablespoons confectioners’ or superfine sugar.
Preparation of the meringue :
1. In a saucepan over medium heat add the sugar with the lemon and ¼ cup of water for the caramel. Let it boil until it makes a drop point. Don’t let it turn golden, it should be transparent when the sugar has dissolved.
2. Beat the egg whites with low speed , as they turn white, increase the intensity. When about 3 minutes have passed or if the egg whites have increased in volume, add the caramel.
3. Slowly add the caramel and drop in a fine thread while continuing to beat the whites. At this point, mix on high speed until you achieve a firm consistency with peaks that stand up.To finish : add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla or lemon zest, the meringue is ready to decorate .
Types of fillings for the dominican sponge cake that you will want to try
Another component that cannot be missing from your cake is the filling, that’s why we tell you how to make them. There are several options to fill the cake, you can also fill them to your liking depending on how you want to present this dessert.
Let’s see what are the recipes to make the different fillings that are recommended for Dominican biscuits :
1. Fruit jam (pineapple, strawberry)
The jams with citrus fruits give the cake a balance of flavors between the sweetness of the cake and the cream. The fruit options are unlimited, we will take as a starting point the strawberry and the pineapple to indicate its preparation.
For the pineapple jam:
- 1 ripe pineapple
- 4 cups of water
- ½ cup of sugar
- Vanilla to taste.
For the strawberry jam:
- 2 cups of strawberries
- 4 cups of water
- ½ cup of sugar
- Powdered cinnamon to taste.
If you have selected the pineapple, start to peel it, then cut it into small cubes and take it to the processor to crush. There should not be any lumps in the blended pulp, it should look like a porridge. In the case of the strawberry, cut into squares and take to the processor until a puree has been made.
In a non-stick saucepan add the water, the sugar and the fruit that you have processed, let it boil. When the first boil appears, cover the jam and lower the heat, wait until it has evaporated. Stir from time to time and you will see that it will have the consistency of jam or thick sauce, turn off the heat, let it rest.
Note : wait for it to cool before using, keep the jam in a container with a lid to take it to the refrigerator.
2. Guava jelly
The cake will have extra points with the filling of your choice, the guava is a great option to add texture. Besides that, it will give a sweet and aromatic touch to the sections of the cake where you have spread the jelly.
A sponge cake with a guava filling will make the dessert recall the flavors of the Caribbean, here are the ingredients:
- 500 grams of ripe guavas
- Whole cinnamon
- 2 ½ cups of sugar, preferably brown.
The guavas must be peeled and without seeds , reserve the pulp. In a saucepan add 1.5 liters of water, pour the inside of the guava with the cinnamon, cover the container. Turn off the heat when the water turns golden and what you have incorporated has dissolved.
Wait for the syrup to cool down and strain to remove the excess and the whole cinnamon. Bring to the fire again, this time with the sugar and the pulp of the guava that you have reserved before.
When the guava halves have softened and the water has reduced, transfer to the blender. Then cook until the mixture has thickened into a jelly, remove from heat, wait for it to cool.
3. Pastry cream
The traditional pastry cream is a filling that many love, together with the Dominican cake it gives an exquisite result. It is also possible to play with other ingredients between the layers to give them different textures or flavors, for example: chocolate flakes.
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla (clear)
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 ½ milk
- 2 tablespoons of amaretto.
In a pot add the yolks of the 3 eggs with the sugar, it is important that it is on a very low heat. Add the flour with the cornstarch to the pot and mix together with the vanilla. Heat the milk without letting it boil to add it to the mixture, but with the stove turned off.
When you are mixing it is necessary not to beat the preparation so that bubbles do not form. Bring to a very low heat, begin to beat with rapid movements and add the amaretto liqueur.
The cream should be firm and silky, that is the indication that it is ready. Remove from the heat and wait for it to cool down to spread the layers of the cake.
Note : with the leftover egg whites prepare the meringue for the cover.
4. Dulce de leche
Dulce de leche is one of the quintessential fillings in biscuits. Although pineapple is traditional in the Dominican Republic, this sweet has become one of the favorites.
You only need 2 cans of condensed milk of the size you prefer, it will depend on how much filling you will use. The procedure is the next:
- In a pot with water put the cans, you don’t have to uncover them.
- Add water to cover the cans
- Cover the pot and leave the heat to low, it should boil for 3 hours
- Turn the cans every 30 minutes so they have even cooking.
- Add water when dry, it should always be on top of the cans
- After the time has elapsed, take out the condensed milk and wait for it to cool to room temperature before opening
- When they have cooled, uncover the cans and pour the dulce de leche into a bowl to mix well. This will remove any lumps that may remain after cooking.
After this, fill your biscuits and even use it as a cover to decorate the cake, it will depend on your creativity.
It is popular in confectionery because it works to fill cakes and decorate them, it is an option to accompany your cake. It will give your hand moisture and softness with the characteristic sweetness of this cream. Follow the recipe:
- 220 grams of icing sugar
- 50ml milk
- 220 grams of unsalted butter
- Vanilla to taste
With the help of a mixer, proceed to cream the butter until it turns white, then add the sugar. When they are fully integrated, add the vanilla to taste. If you wish, tint the cream with kitchen coloring, it will be useful if you make the cover and decoration for the cake.
Note : remember that powdered sugar must be used, granulated sugar will not integrate with butter. On the other hand, the icing sugar will give the consistency to the cream and it will be imperceptible when eating it.
Pastry shops with the best dominican cake
When visiting the Dominican Republic you must go through the pastry shops of the city that you are visiting. We will show you the most popular establishments where you will find the best Dominican cakes to satisfy the craving for a delicious cake. Let’s get started!
While you are touring the magical colonial sites in Santo Domingo take a break and stop by this pastry shop. There is a huge variety of desserts that you will love like the traditional coconut tres leches, and the delicious sponge cake.
Coffee is a great option to accompany your cake or its famous, very unique cheesecake. Another point in favor is that the site is perfect to share with your loved ones with excellent care.
- Hours: Monday to Saturday they open their doors at 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Sundays from 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Location: Agustín Lara street 41 , Santo Domingo
- Contact number: +18095404244
- If you want to place your orders with home delivery services from PedidosYa, click here . The sponge cake options are : chocolate, marbled, lemon, coconut and apple.
Dominican cakes are the strong point of this pastry, here you will find various presentations with meringues and exquisite toppings. Inside the place there are several tables where the cakes that are ready to go are presented.
The cupcakes are made to your liking , so when you visit the establishment, ask about the available flavors. In addition to sweets, breakfast is served in the pastry shop, it is an excellent place where you will have dessert after eating.
El Poly is the right place if you are looking for the best cake to share with your family on special occasions. The Dominican celebration is made with cakes.
- Hours: They are open from Monday to Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Sundays from 8:00 to 12:00.
- They are located at Calle Juan Antonio Alix # 8 , in Moca
- The contact number is: +18095783298.
In this pastry shop there are delicious cakes with beautiful presentations that will make you fall in love. The options to fill your cake are varied, you can combine your favorite flavors, between fruit or the traditional meringue.
In Magical Dulzura desserts are made for various occasions or events, there are cakes for weddings, birthdays and more. You will also see cookies and cakes with various toppings along with the great Dominican flavor.
- They will attend you in Santiago de los Caballeros specifically at Manzana E Residencial Armando .
- The schedule is subject to the availability of the owners.
- To inquire about prices and opening hours, call +18295664030.
In addition to being a pastry school, they offer the public incredible cakes that you must try, excellence is their forte. The elaboration of the biscuits is adapted according to the needs of their clients , they are specialists in decorating the product.
If you are celebrating your birthday in the Caribbean lands, request your cake at the Miriam Gautreaux Pastry Shop. You will be surprised by their creations.
- Find the establishment at Av. Simón Bolívar 66 in Santo Domingo
- Contact the bakery at the phone number +18096892720
- Hours of operation are from 8:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Sundays from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
5. Nene Pastry
The atmosphere is cozy, at the same time that impressive cakes are exhibited, they follow the preparation of the traditional sponge cake . Here you will see different types of desserts that you will not miss: cupcakes, cookies, sighs, typical sweets and more.
In Nené Repostería there are also salty snacks that serve as a complement at parties and meetings.
Among the biscuit options you will find: portions of dulce de leche biscuit, nougat biscuit, almonds, chantilly. The amazing Milky Way cupcakes, the crispy (crunchy chocolate covered), and the cookies and cream pound cake.
- You can place your order at home from PedidosYA by clicking here .
- When you are visiting Santo Domingo, you will find this pastry shop on Av. Venezuela 59
- To contact the Nené Repostería staff, call the telephone number +18092735372.
The various pastry shops in the Dominican Republic focus on presenting a quality product with a long tradition. The biscuits are part of the gastronomic history of this Caribbean country , their presentations are increasingly modern. However, the preparation method that promotes the softness that distinguishes it is maintained.
Dominican confectionery enjoys great breadth in terms of the typical desserts of the country and its regions. The Dominican sponge cake is proof of the versatility of Dominican pastry, it can be sophisticated or a breakfast complement.
There is a list of dominican sweet dishes that are very popular in all the kitchens of the Caribbean country. Among the traditional desserts we find:
- Beans with sweet, made with milk and spices. It is a recipe that dates from the time of the conquest
- Dominican arepa in its sweet presentation, it is similar to a dense cake
- Cornbread, ideal for breakfasts or snacks in the Caribbean
- Squash flan, a classic among flans. Its consistency is smooth but remains firm
- The incredible tres leches cake
- Rice pudding, its consistency is creamy, it has a pleasant sweet flavor and spices.
The list goes on, there is no doubt that in the incredible Dominican Republic there are many options for dessert lovers.